May 13, 2016
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) would like to share details regarding the Topaz upgrade announced recently. As a result of this upgrade, Topaz Enterprise and Granite will be replaced with a new web-based Topaz product called Topaz Elements. Animal Protocols, Animal Ordering and Animal Billing are application modules within Topaz Elements.
In order to complete the Topaz upgrade, the system will be unavailable between 4:00 PM June 2, 2016 and 4:00 PM June 8, 2016. If during this time you have animal care or IACUC issues or needs that would normally require the use of the Topaz system, please contact either the IACUC (860-679-3429, email@example.com) or CCM directly (860-679-2731 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
As a part of the upgrade, certain process changes will be implemented, some of which are driven by the new features that Elements offers, some of which are process improvements.
In order to fully understand these process changes and improvements, we recommend that all research staff who write protocols and place animal orders attend training sessions provided by the OVPR. These sessions will be offered beginning in June. Click here for session dates, times, and registration information.
We thank you for your cooperation while we conduct this upgrade. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Wesley G. Byerly, Pharm.D.
Associate Vice President for Research Integrity and Regulatory Affairs
Office of the Vice President for Research
Topaz Elements Upgrade Highlights
- User Support: eRA Help Desk will provide full help desk support for Topaz Elements users, including but not limited to user account requests and technical issues support. eRA Help Desk’s Contact Information: email@example.com or 860-486-7944.
- System Access: Users will no longer need to access Topaz via Citrix. Topaz Elements can be accessed from web browsers, such as Internet Explorer 11, Firefox and Safari. Please note: Google Chrome is not an approved browser to access Topaz Elements.
- User Log-in: Post upgrade, Topaz Elements users will use their UConn Health domain IDs and passwords to log in. All Topaz users must have a UConn Health domain ID. Each individual can only maintain one Topaz Elements user record. The user account request will continue to be submitted via the Online User Account Request process at http://uar.uchc.edu/
- Protocol Submission and Approval: There are no significant system functionality changes and no process changes.
- Animal Orders, Cage Cards and Billing.
- Animal Orders. There are no significant changes to the animal order system process, except that users will have separate entries for male, female and either genders to choose from the vendor catalog Strain/Stock/Breed (SSB). The same information will be required, however, the form will have a different appearance.In order to ensure a smooth system transition, the Center for Comparative Medicine (CCM) asks that you place all animal orders for the month of June in Granite no later than 3:00 PM on Friday, May 27, 2016. This allows our staff adequate time to process orders before the migration of data to the new system. During our system upgrade, if you have an order that must be placed, CCM will provide a paper version of our animal order form, which may be completed and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cage Cards – CCM will no longer be able to create barcode stickers for the labs that print their own Colony Management cage cards. CCM also cannot allow labs to create and print their own barcodes due to a history of related billing problems. The CCM cage card and barcode will have to appear in plain sight in order for staff to scan the cages. You may still use your lab created cage cards, but they will have to be placed behind the CCM standard cage card; or you may adjust the size of your card so that it does not cover the CCM barcode. Please contact CCM with any questions or clarifications prior to the upgrade at 860-679-2731 or email@example.com.
- Billing – PIs and financial/administrative staff will now be able to access Elements directly in order to review and print monthly invoices, and will no longer receive invoices via email. The invoice preview, change and finalization process will remain the same.